Thursday, September 6, 2012

Questions from pg. 17


I hope this is not late. I had trouble with posting on blogger this morning.

Roses are red, violets are blue, sugar is sweet and so are you."
This is a commonly used poem, or I think it is a poem. It is very catchy and pretty much anyone could use it to change it up. They are poetry with a kind of mood to it, and something that would have important meaning to the person who wrote it. I define poetry as a secretive feeling that you write then cover it with words that are not commonly used but have mostly the same meanings and have your same point of view put in a different way. I am not sure; I am not completely great at explaining especially in poetry because I couldn’t understand it better anyways. I will just explain and try to connect to my friend what I think of the poem that I read.

I believe its popular, people can think their different point of views towards it when they don’t understand what the author wrote. People write gibberish poems, I've experienced it; I have done that at some point in my high school life when you just want to bias homework because of time concerns. I know there are different forms of poetry that are hard to catch, having it narrative while dramatic, with a certain happy or melancholy feel, some examples are  simple quotations, I believe they are supposed to be just a line that has meaning making it a poem.

I don't know what the first poem I read. I don’t think I can remember it. I will just pick a poetry that was my favorite; it is from William Shakespeare’s play, The Twelfth Night:

“The Clown, singing
O Mistress mine, where are you roaming?
O stay and hear! your true-love’s coming
That can sing both high and low;
Trip no further, pretty sweeting,
Journeys end in lovers’ meeting—        
Every wise man’s son doth know.

What is love? ’tis not hereafter;
Present mirth hath present laughter;
What’s to come is still unsure:
In delay there lies no plenty,—        
Then come kiss me, Sweet-and-twenty,
Youth’s a stuff will not endure.”
-Act II Scene III

It was a line on his play the twelfth night, this play was so funny and also I liked it because I acted as one of the main characters and it was a fun experience to do improvised exercise and read Shakespeare’s writings. It comes to my mind having true meaning, I think the longer a poem is with more words and phrases the better you can understand it. It affects me that I know I need to keep rereading poetry if I don’t understand it until looking up words that are unfamiliar and start communicating with other people as well to get different views and to be able to understand it better.

I think the most that my teacher gave me was to read it with feeling, if it sounds wrong read it with a different feeling, and just keep reading by looking up unfamiliar words and never ignore the writer’s punctuation, it certainly gives a different meaning to it.

If in a movie I see a feeling and an important looking scene and then the lead star starts talking and there’s meaning to it, I truly think at an instant its poetry. besides that I don’t have any other experiences, maybe in songs, music has deep connections towards a person because sometimes it describes exactly how you feel and that you think it’s a poem that has been turned into a song.

I’ve written a poem for homework other than that not on my own.  I just wrote what I believe fitted the scene. I didn’t completely get it right but I had fun, at least I know it’s my own writing and I should trust it and believe in my own work. Well if you write something such as a poem, you need to be precise that a person will understand what you write; all depends in the wording it needs to be formal and sophisticated to better understand. Reading a poem is hard because you don’t know how to compare your ideas and towards the authors.

1 comment: