Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Summary of poem

     The time period of the poem, “It’s a Woman’s World by Eavan Boland was not mentioned, if it was I think we could have understood more of the meaning behind the poem, I understood the most common generalization that not only woman could benefit by this poem but also other people with different ethnic backgrounds and  also laborers.
     I believe that this poem has been written in the era of not gaining woman’s rights, in lines 1-16 it represents the time that had passed by and nothing had changed, all was the same, woman are left behind the men are always the one in the sight of the people, the woman’s accomplishments cannot be real because they just overlook it and they can’t really do anything much about pursuing their careers or anything since woman’s rights were limited. Woman have been criticized of doing the same things over and over again, well they can’t really do much about it.
     Throughout history woman were defined but we forget, It’s because most historians who write our history books are men, we are defined wrongly but then if it was a woman who will write woman’s history it would be a right choice-all of the woman’s experiences will be right based on what she experienced in her life. Nowadays power to the woman are stronger, woman had gained more rights till the mid-20th century and still improving woman’s way of life. Woman can never be as great as men for being an astronomer or being brave, because it was never meant for woman to gain this kind of achievement, in time the stars will reign on woman. it was described in lines 32-36, how a woman is a stereotypical housewife (who gossip, cook, clean, take care of children) while men go to war and fight, woman couldn’t accomplish anything while men go through life with pride and achieving their goals, men lived by the lights of honor while woman stay at home and gain no achievements. Everything the same, woman took care of their children bring them in in their home but not of history.
     Comparing for the present time of today, I am glad that woman had gained more rights, me as a woman myself cannot imagine my life without accomplishing anything, I want to prove to myself and to all that I could do what men does and I can’t be pushed down because I will surely fight back.
     The last two stanzas are still unclear to me, further explanation of it is what I need, and I couldn’t see a connection of that to the poem.

No comments:

Post a Comment