Tuesday, February 12, 2013

What if?




Living in the greater Los Angeles area made me aware of the diversity LA had to offer. Everywhere I look I will catch myself seeing a different race and I question it- how did we all (of different ethnic backgrounds) come together at this one place? The book Another City by David Ulin gave me different viewpoints that I could relate to such as how racism stands and how my environment affect the way I live in Los Angeles.
In the story “Naked Chinese People” by Diane Lefer recognizes how racism stands in Los Angeles. When a person was of certain race they are treated differently individually. For example, the rules that apply to white people alone apply only to them and for them, while other races have their own designated rules that only apply to and for them. This rule of “applying” shows unfairness and it concerns me how could I make change for this? I have no power whatsoever as of now but I know as a student little by little I could make change by learning and utilizing from it.
I relate to the story of Diane Lefer of losing someone you love. I had gone through a same situation where I lost my aunt who I deeply care for. It was disappointing to find out and I wish I was there at her side to say my goodbyes. The “what if?” question was significant to the story dealing with; what if I had done choice A rather than choice B? What would have been the outcome? It applied to me as well with making decisions and just living my life. In the simple choice of should I have coffee or tea in the morning? The choices that we make affect an outcome that makes us who we are already. Why should I change it? I already like the person I am now.
In the story “The Exterminator” by Rob Roberge shows an effect of how we live in the environment of Los Angeles. Towards the end of the story it emphasizes a snow weather, and I thought of Los Angeles that way which is somewhat to not possible because of having the usual broad daylight and sunny weather. The way the author described it was like “the exterminator stands in the fluff of snow and now staring at the source of it.” Similarly, I had done something like this, as I stood in the fluff of snow wondering its magnificence and what the reason it brings to us. It was amazing watching the snow fall wondering where it came from. That experience was unforgettable especially because of the time it snowed which was in the new year of 2012. Seeing the most joy and hope everyone felt made me realize how this affects the life I live.
Having related experiences to the stories made me realize how we act and live our life relying in the city of Los Angeles. The city I like to call full of stars to catch and live your dreams.
Snow in Santa Clarita
Race does not matter as long as you care for each other.

1 comment:

  1. Both blogs, this one and the one above are done well. I like your use of pictures to help us understand your ideas.
    mm

    ReplyDelete