Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Greater Los Angeles


I lived in Santa Clarita for only a couple of years; it is in the Los Angeles County and it seems like it is a new city. A lot of people do not recognize this city, maybe because of having too little of getting amazing entertainment and food. I don’t have the same belief as others do, there are a lot of things you can do where you can have fun with your family and friends. Most importantly the city is safe, there are not many crimes you see, few gangs but those are teenagers who act “cool,” you could see police cars patrolling around neighborhoods. Santa Clarita is home to Six Flags Magic Mountain, the thrill capital of the world. I could not ask for any other place to live in and I am satisfied where I live now.

Santa Clarita is comprised of different ethnic backgrounds and cultures. In my neighborhood specifically, the Asians are the minority while Hispanics and Blacks are the majority. It does not bother me because I am aware that my surroundings shape how I am influenced. I respect all the other cultures that I see because we all live in one city and one roof. Living for only 3 years in Santa Clarita went by fast. I was changed and was expected to become independent since I started working on a part-time job. Since we had the lack of money, to go to work and school I had to take the bus.

Similar to Luis Alfaro’s experience in the story “Minnie Riperton Saved My Life,” he was bused and he and his family were moving a lot to different places. I relate to the feeling that busing is a good experience because some of my closest friends now I met because of taking the bus. Also as Alfaro’s experience of moving a lot somewhat parallel to mine. He comes from a valley that differs from the Los Angeles valleys while I come from a country with different standards of living compared to here in the United States. It was hard to adjust to the culture at first but with all the support from people that I have met and my families, it all turned out well.

Recognizing and appreciating the culture of others makes a city a better place. Los Angeles gave its diversity for a reason to unite people of different race, gender, and age. To live in this city together to face great journeys ahead.
 
Some of my great and fun journeys with amazing people:






 

No comments:

Post a Comment