Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Ethnography


My group decided we visit the Northridge Fashion Center as a space in Los Angeles. For me, this was a new experiment because I had to de-familiarize myself so that I can find issues to write about on my paper. I have been to that mall only a few times because I personally don't like shopping malls and I don't live in the Northridge area.
I went to the mall at lunch time with my sister on a Friday. I ate food at Tommy's, I would not have chosen any other place because I just love their food. While I was sitting I observed people around me. People of different ages eat there, maybe because of the variety you could chose from. Specifically, a group of 4 or more friends or family, couples, the elderly, and kids with their parents. Throughout I want to share issues that I have seen while observed from one place to another. In the food court, I see parents with their little ones and I highly suggest they pay close attention to their kids and not leave them unattended because they might ran off and cause problems to other people. I have encountered in the past you see a kid crying in one corner and instantly I thought "what should I do?" Should I help out or am I too busy shopping and not caring? Of course I would help, talk to security or the information desk, they know what to do.
Not only do people go to the mall to buy their necessities, they go here to share time with family and friends. There is a children's play area and the movie theatre to have some fun time. I see some new renovations as well. Like in my photo they added the fountain which is very nice and gives opportunities for smaller sellers to put a booth on their own.
Similarly the diversity of the mall defines Los Angeles as well. People of different races come together in one place to buy their wants and needs. Los Angeles has been comprised of having the largest ethnic diversity in the whole country and  most of the shopping malls including the Northridge Fashion Center is highly diverse. That said, the Northridge Fashion Center specifically is somewhat overcrowded. Even though there are stores that are going out of business, people still come. I found that the mall is overcrowded because many spend their time to relax and have fun not inside the stores. Also, why are businesses going out of business? Is it the downturn in the United States economy? It could be a reason or people just don't hear much about the specific stores that are shutting down because they don't advertise as much compared to popular stores like Macy's or Sears. To keep their businesses going to prevent closings they must let us the consumers know about their stores.
I hate walking around, hearing my older sister complain "Buy me this, buy me that, lets go to that store" my sister just wants to go on every clothing store out there. I just respond "We both have jobs, obviously you have higher pay. Why should I buy your stuff?" She stops complaining and goes to another store. While I am being dragged to go to one store to another, it's funny how I think which stores
are expensive and not. When there are no customers inside the store "Oh, this is probably an expensive store. I wont go here." While another place like forever21 is always packed this is obviously the more affordable store. Another issue that comes up is my experience of going to swap meets, flea fair, or street markets from my Latina friends. They seem to know where the good stuff are. The street markets are relatively cheaper compared to shopping at a mall.  This is the issue I will be using for my argument essay. Which side am I? It's a secret.
The visit to the Northridge Fashion Center was fun even though it hurt my legs and feet. I found a lot of issues I could use for my argument essay. Definitely visiting it on-hand makes a person realize what more there is worth than not being there physically.

Forever 21, always packed
Front gate



New renovation

1 comment:

  1. Good, and the visuals add a lot. It doesn't look very crowded though.
    mm

    ReplyDelete